"I am one with the force, the force is with me." ~ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Tuesday 16 August 2016

Sausage Party Movie Review

Article by Gabe Zia


Lazy Film Critic Movie Reviews
Sausage Party
So another year, another Seth Rogen movie with the pitch "________ but with pot". This year, it's Sausage Party, an R rated animated film about talking food. The food in the supermarket worships humans as gods, however they soon discover that humans eat food, so it's up to one lone hot dog (not a sausage) to save the rest of the food from the humans.
So, if you know me and you know this site, you might know by now I have a weak spot when it comes to good animation. The amount of effort and skill it takes to animate is kind of mind-blowing to me, and I can't help but give it recognition whenever it's good. And the animation in this movie is very good, surprisingly good. The film very much retains it's own kind of cartoon-y style with it's look, and every looks very polished. However, the biggest gripe I have with this movie - one that I usually have with R-rated animated comedies - is that the quality animation team simply deserves better projects than this one.
This film is currently standing at 82% on RT, and to be honest, I don't see it. Throughout the whole film there was never anything of any novelty outside of the concept itself, which isn't even an amazingly original idea. And as a comedy, I'm not gonna lie this film didn't make me laugh that much. Sure I laughed a normal amount, however there was only one joke that really stook out as having me laughing out loud. And after films like The Interview and The Night Before, this is kind of starting to be a trend with Seth Rogen movies. I think after This is the End, the novelty of stoner comedies kind of wore off, at least for me.
While this isn't a complaint directly, it's more than worth it to bring it up. This movie has a really weird agenda, a large part of the film in the third act is a very obvious allegory mean to represent the dangers of putting too much faith in organized religion, or any religion. And some the points this movie is trying to make are admirable, there's one scene thats kind of representing how religion is entirely subjective and how people push their own beliefs and prejudice into the way they practice. That in itself is a great message to incorporate into the movie, but not only do they feel really out of place here, but the movie doesn't use them to its advantage. The whole religious symbolism in the film is really only there for a short amount of time, so it doesn't feel necessary. It's like they wanted to check off the "symbolism" box on a checklist, and this was the best way to do it.

Final Rating
The longer I review movies, the more I feel myself lose touch with the very idea of turning my brain off and enjoying a movie for what it is. Because I personally didn't think Sausage Party was anything to write home about, it wasn't bad or anything but given the concept and the cast and the animation, it should have been significantly better.

No comments:

Post a Comment