"I am one with the force, the force is with me." ~ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Sunday 8 June 2014

Best & Worst of Jonah Hill

Article by Gabe Zia
We have a packed movie weekend coming up here. We've got 22 Jump Street, we've got How to Train your Dragon 2, we might (if I'm lucky) have Hellion, The Signal, or even The Rover for an early release. However, amongst those films is 22 Jump Street starring one of my favorite comedic actors who is also a very talented actor, and that man is Jonah Hill.
Jonah Hill & Channing Tatum in 22 Jump Street
I know a few people would have picked Moneyball for Jonah Hills best, but I will take a different route on the grounds that I haven't seen it. A lot of other people would pick Superbad, mainly due to the fact that it was the main source of the awesome career he has now. Instead, I'm going with a film very related to 22 Jump Street, and by that I mean I'm going with 21 Jump Street.
Jonah Hill & Channing Tatum in 21 Jump Street
I'm not going to lie, the first time I saw 21 Jump Street, I was very skeptical going into it. However, to my (and a lot of peoples) surprise, the film delivered way above what we expected. The chemistry between the two main characters is some of the best on screen chemistry I had seen in years, and the comedy was top notch. The dialogue in the film is absolutely fantastic, with some of the most memorable lines in a comedy film in recent memory.

For his worst, it actually surprised me that he doesn't have an abundance of bad films. Most of the films he's in are really great comedies, or even great dramas. And I haven't seen The Sitter, so I can't use that one at all, so I'm going to go with The Watch.
Jonah Hill in The Watch
Here's the thing about this movie, it's not terrible. Hell, it's not even that bad, it has it's moments. But those really funny moments are clustered between way too many sex jokes or toilet humour. Granted, a little toilet humour is fine for me, it's one of my guilty pleasures, but there has to be a limit, and I don't think that this film or its director is aware of that limit. Also, some of the non-dirty jokes don't even land, so for the majority of the film you either get a lot of immature humour, or humourless jokes. But when this movie's funny it's freaking hilarious, so I'll give it at least that.

New top 10 list coming this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment