"I am one with the force, the force is with me." ~ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Sunday 13 April 2014

Best and Worst of Morgan Freeman

Article by Gabe Zia

So this weekend, we have a movie that I'm kinda looking forward to, and that movie is Transcendence. Now, this film stars a whole bunch of people. We've got Johnny Depp, we've got Rebecca Hall, we've got Paul Bettany, just a lot of actors. However, my pick for best & worst is none other than Morgan Freeman.
Morgan Freeman & Cillian Murphy in Transcendence.
He's an incredibly prolific actor, one with an insanely iconic and recognizable voice. He's also an incredibly talented and very diverse actor, one with many fantastic roles in fantastic films. So, picking my best film for Morgan Freeman was kind of difficult, seeing as there's a lot of them.  And I would've gone with the obvious choice of Shawshank Redemption, but I chose instead to go with one of my personal favorite thrillers of all time- Se7en.
Morgan Freeman in Se7en
This film is so brilliantly unique in so many ways, that I cannot put any other film other than it as the best Morgan Freeman film. And, as expected, he's brilliant in the film. Both him and Brad Pitt are just so great in this movie as these realistic and human characters that it gives this film such a realistic and human tone. However, this is more Brad Pitts film, he's the one who has the show stealing performance in my opinion, which makes talking about Morgan Freemans performance in it kind of difficult. But it is certainly worth your time, I suggest you go check it out.

For worst, it's really tough. He doesn't have a lot of really bad films, and even the ones that are bad are in no way his fault. I know some people might go with Deep Impact, but I actually happen to like that film. No, for worst of Morgan Freeman, I'm going with Bonfire of the Vanities.
Morgan Freeman pulling a Walter White in Bonfire of the Vanities
Most other bad films Morgan Freeman has been in have at least been alright, but to me, this is a real stinker. There's nothing to like about this film, none of the actors do a good job, the director doesn't do a good job. But what really gets me about this film is the fact that most of the cast and the director have talent. It's got Tom Hanks and Morgan Freeman, that should work really well. And even though Brian De Palma has made some films that sucked, he still made Scarface, he still made the original Carrie. In my books, that's a good director. However, despite all the talent in this film, everything in it just sucked.

Sorry I've been low on content lately, but I'll be sure to have my reviews for Oculus & The Raid 2 up by sometime this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment