"I am one with the force, the force is with me." ~ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Tuesday 29 April 2014

May 2014 Watchlist

Article by Gabe Zia
Okay people, it has been a really awesome spring movie season this year, that's usually a pretty good sign, but it's time to say goodbye to indie film festival movies, and say hello to summer movie season! And it's looking to be an awesome month of movies, so let's jump right into May 2014 in Movies.

May 2nd

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
I know a lot of people felt disappointed with the 2012 spider man, to be honest I actually enjoyed it more than the first Sam Raimi spider man film, so I'm looking forward to this one. Admittedly, it looks like it will have some problems, but early reviews are saying positive things about it, so I'll keep an open mind.



May 9th

Chef
This is a movie I've personally been wanting to see for a while, I didn't know it was coming out so soon, so this is pretty exciting for me. I'm a fan of Jon Favreaus films, and I am really liking the cast this movie has lined up. Not to mention, early SXSW reviews are telling me this is certainly a film to watch.


Neighbors

This is another comedy I've been wanting to see all year, and although the film doesn't seem like it's exactly clever humour, it certainly seems very funny. I'm a fan of Seth Rogen as a comedian, I think he's pretty funny in stuff like Knocked Up and 50/50, so i'm excited for this one as well.


The Double
Every year, there are two films that seem oddly alike. This year, those movies are Enemy and The Double, both of which are about a guy who meets another guy who looks exactly like him. I liked Submarine as well, so I'll probably enjoy The Double.


May 16th

Godzilla
Alright, this is it. This is the film I've been excited for all year. You've got an amazing director, an awesome set-up, and a fantastic cast. Not to mention with the clip I saw at wondercon, I have no doubt in my mind that this will be an awesome godzilla movie, hopefully better than the 1998 one at the very least.


Million Dollar Arm
This is another film I know little about, other than the fact that a lot of people want to see it. Apparently, it's about this baseball recruiter who creates a reality show in india to find players who are skilled at cricket so he can make them great baseball players.


May 23rd

X-Men: Days of Future Past
I'm not a huge comic book fan (that is to say, I don't read comics), but I'm a fan of Bryan Singers X-Men. Ever since the X-Men film, I've loved his style with the characters and the world of this franchise. And this film looks like it's totally living up to the first two films, and making up for a few others.


Palo Alto
A lot of films this year have been announced for certain days, but have been delayed or have been limited release. And even though I think this is one of them, I'm still hoping it comes out in my area. I'm a fan of all the actors in the film, Emma Roberts is an actress who I'm hoping will find a big break, and hopefully that big break is Palo Alto.


May 30th

Maleficent
It seems to be a recent and popular trend in movies to take classic fairy tales and modernize them (And by recent, I mean not recent at all). And although some of them have been pretty bad, there have been some good ones.


My favourite film of April 2014: Under the Skin
I was almost going to go with Captain America for April, but I cannot help but talking about this film. This is one of those films that, even if it's disturbing beyond comprehension, it's still a great film. And this is a masterpiece. The kind of insane nature of the film and disturbing and yet thought provoking imagery hasn't been seen since the likes of A Clockwork Orange. Other critics have said Jonathan Glazer is an heir to Kubrick, and they are absolutely right. I absolutely cannot wait to see what this creative (and probably totally nuts) director has in store for the future.

1 comment:

  1. I think we select most of the same movies to list down :-) Thank for introducing Under The Skin, I will definitively check it out!

    ReplyDelete