"I am one with the force, the force is with me." ~ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Sunday 4 May 2014

Best and Worst of Seth Rogen

Article by Gabe Zia
Big weekend ahead of us today. We've got Neighbors, we've got Chef, we've got The Double (I hope). And one of those films stars a very popular comedic actor, one of my favourite comedic actors, and that man is Seth Rogen.
Seth Rogen & Rose Byrne in Neighbors
The guy has totally set his place amongst comedic actors, lots of people like him. I know most of his films aren't exactly the subtle type of comedies, but they're still pretty funny. However, despite his reputation as a comedic actor, he's also shown some acting chops. Stuff like Funny People, or- more prominently- 50/50.
I know this is more Joseph Gordon-Levitts movie, but I feel like Seth Rogen gets very little credit for this film. His style of comedy actually worked for his characters benefit, and the films benefit as a whole. Basically, if you haven't seen it, Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays this guy named Adam. Now Adams just a regular guy, nothing special really. Which causes a surprise for him when he finds out he has cancer, and has a 50% chance of survival. Seth Rogen plays his best friend, who plays the role of both supporting him and comic relief. And although the film is already great enough on it's own, his character really makes some of these scenes.

For worst, it's kind of difficult. Not because I'm saying all of his films are great, but I have really only seen a few. And it's not a terrible film by any means, but it's the lowest quality one I've seen. For worst, I'm going with Green Hornet.
I think my biggest issue with this film is the characters, they are really unlikable people. Especially Seth Rogens character, he's pretty much the polar opposite of his character in 50/50. I know it's meant to be a character redemption, but character redemption requires some redeemable qualities, and this character has absolutely none. Neither do any of the characters in this film. And the story structure is just really not good, at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment