"I am one with the force, the force is with me." ~ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Sunday 29 June 2014

July 2014 Watchlist

Article by Gabe Zia

July 4
Deliver us From Evil
Yet another horror film from Scott Derrickson, the director of Sinister. Usually, possession films are not my thing, they don't interest me, they usually have the same possession movie cliches. However, what's caught my attention for this film is that it's inspired by stuff that happened. I know that a lot of horror movies say that, and it's nonsense, but this one is based on accounts by an NYPD sergeant. The movie will probably exaggerate them for horror movie stuff, but I'm saying it's got my attention.

July 11
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Still of Andy Serkis in another role of his that will be snubbed by the oscars
Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a huge success back in 2011, and this one looks just as good. It follows a new cast of character, including one of my all-time favorites, Gary Oldman. It's also got a post-apocalyptic setting, which is always my thing.

July 18
The Purge Anarchy
The Purge is an odd series for me. It has a really great concept, but I feel like the first one didn't really capitalize on that idea and just used it as a gimmick to make a home-invasion film. I'm hoping this one uses the idea behind the film a little more, which is the vibe I'm getting from the trailers. I am still very skeptical, because if the first film taught me anything it's that I shouldn't trust this series too much.

July 25
Lucy
Scarlett Johansson demonstrating how holding the gun sideways always looks cooler.
This is my most anticipated movie of the month. The story seems very intriguing, I'm a fan of Luc Besson's films, like Léon and La Femme Nikita. The premise itself is essentially the premise of the movie Limitless, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're the same film. From what I've seen in the trailers this film seems to be taking an action oriented approach to the concept, as well as a more broad take. Either way, I'm interested in this movie.

My favourite film of June 2014: Edge of Tomorrow
Despite how stylish Only Lovers Left Alive was, I'm going with Edge of Tomorrow here. This is hands down the best action film of the year so-far, for a lot of reasons. The entire cast does a great job playing likable and original characters, the film looks great, the fact that it uses a lot of practical effects is really cool, and this is overall an amazing film. It's really bothering me that this movie has not been doing well as the box office, because this is a great sci-fi film. If you haven't seen this movie yet, then you are doing yourself a disservice.

No comments:

Post a Comment