"I am one with the force, the force is with me." ~ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Sunday 24 August 2014

September 2014 Watchlist

Article by Gabe Zia
So, with September just a week away, and nothing really coming out next weekend, I'm going to talk about the films I'm looking forward to in September 2014.

September 12th

The Drop
Tom Hardy, James Gandolfini, Noomi Rapace, Matthias Schoenaerts
This movie has caught my attention mainly due to the fact that it's James Gandolfinis last film, with him having passed away last year. The film itself looks pretty good, and I'm interested in seeing it, but the fact that it's James Gandolfini's last film pretty much solidified that I'll see it.

September 19th

The Maze Runner
Dylan O'Brien, Thomas Sangster, Will Poulter, Kaya Scodelario
Usually, dystopian young adult books turned into movies (like Divergent) just go over my head. However, from what I can tell this one seems to have more of an interesting premise, and I've heard the book is pretty good, so I'll probably check this one out.

A Walk Among the Tombstones
Liam Neeson, Dan Stevens, Boyd Holbrook, Ruth Wilson
Liam Neeson action movies are pretty much a dime a dozen these days, however after watching the trailer I think A Walk Among the Tombstones could be different. It seems to be less like an action thriller, and more like a dark crime thriller, with some of the elements that would make a movie like this work. Also, Liam Neeson will more than likely be really cool in the movie, and that's never a bad thing.

September 26th

The Equalizer
Denzel Washington, Chlöe Grace Moretz, Melissa Leo, Martin Csokas
Denzel Washington is probably one of the coolest current action stars, having at least one action thriller a year, most of which are pretty good. The latest of them is The Equalizer, which is also directed by the guy who made Training Day, which has pretty much sold the movie for me.

My favourite film of August 2014: Boyhood
The choice between Guardians of the Galaxy and Boyhood has been one of the toughest decisions I've had to make all year, and although it's really close, Boyhood takes the cake. This is just such an utterly unique film, absolutely one of a kind, and it's a fantastic film at that. Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke are both great in it, and Ellar Coltrane absolutely deserves an oscar nomination for his performance. If anything else, this film just feels real, it perfectly captures a sense of real life, and that is no easy task.

No comments:

Post a Comment