"I am one with the force, the force is with me." ~ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Wednesday 1 October 2014

October 2014 Watchlist

Article by Gabe Zia
So today is October 1st, and the slow month that is September is finally over. It's time to move into oscar bait season, starting with October.


October 3rd

Gone Girl
Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Tyler Perry, Neil Patrick Harris
How Batman looks for people without his suit
David Fincher is easily one of the best directors working today, and from what I've heard, the book is amazing. Really, I can't ask for a better combination, and have no doubts that this film will be just as cool as most of David Finchers other films.

October 10th

Kill the Messenger
Jeremy Renner, Robert Patrick, Barry Pepper, Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Conspiracy movies are often something I like to see, as they rarely disappoint. This one follows a journalist who uncovers a secret operation held by the US government involving cocaine smuggling. The film also features a huge cast, which would make anyone think it's an Oliver Stone film.

Dracula Untold
Luke Evans, Sarah Gadon, Dominic Cooper, Charles Dance
After the horrendous Twilight movies practically killed the vampire genre, it's good to see that vampires are coming back. Dracula Untold tells the story of Dracula, following both the plot of Bram Stokers book, and blending that with actual history involving Vlad the Impaler. Now, for a vampire fan like me, a film like this will easily catch my interest.

The Judge
Robert Downey Jr., Robert Duvall, Vera Farmiga, Billy Bob Thorton
The Judge follows a defense lawyer played by Robert Downey Jr, who finds out his father has been charged with murder, and is defending him on the case. The catch is that these two have a bad relationship, on account of him being kind of a jerk father. Now while the film has been getting bad reviews, I'm still fairly interested in it. I'll probably see Dracula Untold first, but still.

October 17th

Birdman
Michael Keaton, Edward Norton, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts
A film that I've been excited for, for a while now, is Birdman. This film seems to be kind of similar to the directors style, but to be honest, I really don't mind. The idea of Micheal Keaton playing a washed up actor who used to play a famous superhero (so basically Michael Keaton) sounds pretty awesome to me.

Dear White People
Dennis Haysbert, Tessa Thompson, Tyler James Williams, Justin Dobies
Personally, I think this looks like one of the smartest films to come out in a good long time. It seems to touch on an important topic which nobody seems to talk about. And the film looks seriously funny, and really smart. All this piled together, you bet I'm gonna see this film.

Fury
Brad Pitt, Logan Lerman, Shia Labeouf, Michael Peña
War movies often follow a certain set of cliches, most of which seem to come from Saving Private Ryan. However, despite Fury seeming to have some of those cliches, the idea of a film set mostly from the inside of a tank had peaked my interest.

October 24th

Laggies
Keira Knightley, Chlöe Grace Moretz, Sam Rockwell
Honestly, I don't really want to see this movie. It looks like a serious chick-flick, and while that might be some other peoples thing, it's just not mine. So, why am I talking about it? Sam Rockwell is in it, and I will essentially see anything that guy is in, so long as the film comes out here and I can actually see the movie.

October 31st

Nightcrawler
Jake Gyllenhaal, Bill Paxton, Rene Russo, Riz Ahmed
I've been excited for Nightcrawler for a few months now, for a few reasons. One, it looks like the cinematography will be amazing. Two, Jake Gyllenhaal and Bill Paxton are both enticing reasons to go see a movie. Three, it has an interesting and original premise. Those three things packed into one have made Nightcrawler a film I will without a doubt see the second it comes out.

My favourite film of September 2014: Kill me Three Times
Much in the style of any good Tarantino film, Kill me Three Times sports good performances all around, clever lines, a good script, beautiful cinematography, and a unique style. Simon Pegg plays one of his more unique characters, and it's overall a really cool film. I know all the tougher critics seem to hate this film, but from what I've seen on IMDb, everyone else seems to enjoy it. I'd say this is definitely a really cool film, and I'd say you should check it out when it comes out in late December.

No comments:

Post a Comment