"I am one with the force, the force is with me." ~ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Sunday 27 July 2014

Best & Worst of Vin Deisel

Article by Gabe Zia
Okay, July is just about over, and we've got a whole bunch of films slated for August. The first major one is a film marvel fans may have heard of, called Guardians of the Galaxy. The film takes a different turn on marvels style, seeming more like Star Wars or Firefly. And, with science fiction films like these, you're guaranteed to find some weird characters. Like, you know, Vin Deisel playing a tree dude.
Yeah. A tree.
Vin Deisel has made an interesting career for himself over the past decade or so. With some interesting roles, some not very good roles, and some really surprising films in the Fast & Furious series. But, the main reason Groot has caught my eye is because he's voiced by Vin Deisel. Why? Well because his best film was also a film where he did voice work, and that film is The Iron Giant.
If you're surprised Vin Deisel was the robot, trust me, I know the feeling.
This isn't just his best film, but this is also one of my all-time favorite animated films. It's got great characters, a unique layout, and a very adult tone. Yeah, it's about a boy who meets a giant robot, but don't let that fool you, this is almost the saddest animated film ever. What I like about its depressing nature so much, is how it's executed. In Lion King, when Mufasa dies, it's sad for the few seconds it's happening, but then it cuts away and it's all forgotten. Here, when something is sad, it's tragic.

For worse, I have picked a film I've been trying to block out of my memory for a long, long, long time. The Pacifier.
Trying (and failed) to block it out.
I honestly don't know how to put this into words. This is one of those films that I cannot describe, simply because there isn't a word that would make sense. But I will try. Basically, Vin Diesel plays a Navy Seal who has to defend from some evil Russian guys. Also, he has to take care of the children in the family for... some reason. Yeah, this is one of those films, like Tooth Fairy or Kindergarden Cop, which is completely humiliating for the former action star and almost kills his career. Also, hollywood should stop doing this. I'm really hoping I won't live long enough to see Jason Statham in a family comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment