"I am one with the force, the force is with me." ~ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Thursday 14 August 2014

Into the Storm movie review

Article by Gabe Zia

Lazy Film Critic reviews...
Into the Storm is a disaster movie, set around a series of chaotic tornados in a small town in Colorado. The film stars Richard Armitage, Sarah Wayne Callies, and Matt Walsh, and is directed by Steven Quale, who also directed Final Destination 5. The film follows a few stories, one about a group of storm chasers, one about this teenager and his dad, and one about these two adrenaline junkie rednecks.
Like with most disaster films, the story isn't the most well developed part of the movie, and neither are the characters. The storm chaser characters were probably the most interesting part of the film though, because you can sort of tell the director did their research on stormchasers with that bit. Granted, I know nothing about storm chasing, but it didn't feel fake, so I've gotta give them props for that at least. The other two plots were less interesting, with the nerdy teenager basically just being a nerdy teenager, and the rednecks being the most annoying part of the film. 
Like I said, the story isn't the most important part here, it's not what I went to Into the Storm hoping for. I wanted to see tornados wrecking stuff, and I'll admit when the tordnados destroyed buildings or parking lots, it's pretty cool. Cars getting flinged all over the place, buildings turning into rubble in a matter of seconds, it's cool to look at. Even some of the more ridiculous stuff, like the fire tornado I saw in the trailer, or that giant tornado in the poster, the film managed to make anything involving the tornados directly seem realistic.
Well, that's one excuse to get out of finals.
Despite everything I just said about the tornados in this movie, they are not as common in the film as I wanted them to be. The scenes involving tornados are pretty short, and have long spaces between them, which leads to the film hinging on its plot which, like I said, isn't that good. Even with its hour and a half running time, the lack of tornados and lots of filler lead to a poorly paced and boring movie.

Final Rating
Into the Storm, despite having some cool moments with the storm chasers and pretty awesome tornados, is a really boring film. It's not a terrible movie, hell I wouldn't even say it's that bad of a film, but I wouldn't say it's worth seeing in the theatres. I'd say Into the Storm is a really good movie to watch on tv, or on netflix, but not in theatres.

Into the Storm: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment